When fantasy football came about, all I could think was: "Who would want to do this?". I was wrong clearly. But I still avoided it, choosing to enjoy just watching the game as it is. Yet, somehow I got myself onto two teams this year! Being an engineer and someone who enjoys math, I had to try and find a way to draft my players. I failed miserably at getting anywhere near a model I intended to make, and just drafted live with my friends with no clear strategy other than choose defenses and kickers last. Maybe a model wouldn't work, but I feel I still should try. I don't have any real hobbies, so maybe this could be something to pursue for awhile. Things I want to accomplish with this project:
- Learn Python, from what I can tell this is a powerful scripting language. For those of us who use Matlab daily, we know we need something better. Python seems to have what we Matlabers need
- Learn MySQL, I guess this is more of a necessity than a want, but adds to the resume
- Develop a Monte Carlo simulation to predict the best team for fantasy football based on past statistics. Clear this opens up a can of worms with questions like: "How does past performance predict the future?" or "Should I Monte Carlo over match ups between offensive player and defenses on their schedule?".
Clearly I'll need to expand on my goals for number 3 to keep me focused on an end goal.
No comments:
Post a Comment