Sunday, September 4, 2011
Where do I find stats?
I knew this would be difficult, and was mainly the problem behind my failure to getting anything up and going before my drafts. I looked on the NFL, Yahoo, and ESPN sites to see what I could get. I tried the method of cut and paste tables into Excel, but this turned out to be very tedious and not very robust. Further scouring of the inter-webs led me to www.advancednflstats.com. This site is very informative on the role of stats, and most importantly contains play-by-play data from 2000-2010 in a CSV file. This seemed promising until a discovered how hard it would be to automatically extract what happened in each play (was it a pass, who intercepted the ball, how many rushing yards did the player get on the rush?). I tried to learn Regular Expressions, but not sure that would get me all the way. Plus I didn't have a player list and what position they played. After some searching for a player list, I hit the jackpot of stats data at http://www.armchairanalysis.com/. This site has all the data from 2000-2010, in fact it has more data than you will ever need. Although, to get live 2011 data you have to pay approximately $600! Wow, I guess it would make since if your company would benefit from live stats and you didn't want to pay anyone to extract the play-by-play data yourself. Clearly something I wouldn't put my money in. But for past data, I have all I need. Next is to read the data into SQL via Python (yes, I know I don't have to do this, but it falls into goals 1 and 2) above.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment